Welcome to our school community! We are so excited that you are starting school here at Our Lady of Lourdes!
Education may look a little different right now, but we are committed to working together to keep all children safe, happy, and healthy!
Early Learning Kindergarten Program 2020 – 2021
The Kindergarten Program is delivered over a two-year period. Teachers focus on instruction that moves students along the continuum to achieve the expectations by the end of Year 2.
A Typical School Start-up Schedule -School Visits and Staggered Entry
- All Year 1 (JK) students and new Year 2 (SK) students will visit the teacher on Tuesday, September 8th with their parent for fifteen minutes. They will get to see their classroom, meet their teachers, and learn about their first day of school.
- All Year 2 (SK) students start school on Wednesday, September 9th and continue daily
- Year 1 students will attend either Thursday, September 10th, or Friday, September 11th for the full day.
- All students will attend Monday, September 14th and continue daily
- You will receive an email or phone call mid-August confirming your child’s classroom placement, the entry procedures for this school year, your visit time, and a staggered entry date. Please note due to the uncertainty of these times, our school entry procedure may change.
- Please subscribe now to Newswire on our school’s website (https://lourdes.wcdsb.ca/) to stay connected and informed. Click the above link and scroll down so you can see where to enter your email.
- Please follow @OLOLFlames on Twitter to also receive information regarding school events.
- Walkers – Children are dropped off in the fenced play yard located in front of the school. School starts at 8:30 am.
- Parents must stay with their child until supervision begins at 8:15 am. Parents wait outside of the fenced area.
- Bus students – will be walked to the kindergarten yard by a bus patrol.
- Extended Day – please wait at the front door of the school to be buzzed in with your
- Bus Students – ECEs walk students to the front foyer to meet their bus buddies at the end of the day.
- Walker Students – Parents/Guardians/Siblings will wait at the fenced play yard gate for the teacher to dismiss the walkers at 3:00 pm.
- Extended Day Students– after parents/guardians are buzzed in at the front doors, students will be picked up at the
A Typical Day in Kindergarten
Throughout the day in a Kindergarten Classroom, your child may be participating in many of the following activities:
Daily Routines and Activities
- Entry and morning routines
- Circle time with large & small group lessons
- Literacy Activities
- Numeracy Activities
- Student-Directed Inquiry
- Physical Education
- Music/ Art/ Drama
- Outdoor Play
- Religion/ Christian Meditation
- School-Wide Celebrations
Lunch / Snacks
- Please provide healthy food for morning and afternoon snack as well as lunch each day
***Our school board is a NUT FREE facility***
- Please pack reusable containers that the children can open independently
- Please send water bottles that do not spill when they are tipped over
School Supplies (Label Everything!)
- Big school bag that can hold their lunch bag
- Lunch bag with snacks and lunch (reusable containers ☺)
- Reusable water bottle
- Indoor shoes (Velcro/Slip-Ons)
- Change of clothes in a labelled bag
- Toys from home must stay at home
- Bus routes organized by the bus company
- Bussing information, including cancellations, etc.: https://www.stswr.ca/
*Please subscribe to receive notifications
- Bus information mailed to parents
- A bus name tag will be attached to your child’s backpack
- Parent/Guardian must meet their child at their bus stop
- Bussing begins Tuesday, September 8th, 2020
- Mail Bags – please empty, review and return each school day
- Contact your child’s teacher anytime- a note in the mail folder or a phone call to school (519-886-4810)
- Calendars and Newsletters are available monthly on newswire – www.lourdes.wcdsb.ca
- Classroom Newsletters available online at www.wcdsb.ca – click the D2L link at the bottom of the website
- Subscribe to School Cash Online (https://wcdsb.schoolcashonline.com/) and Newswire on our school’s website
(https://lourdes.wcdsb.ca/) to stay connected and informed.
Readiness for School
- Please inform the school if your child is an English Language Learner, if you have special education needs, health
concerns, or transition concerns
- Please complete your child’s immunization records with Waterloo Public Health
- Practice listening and following directions
- Check-ups are recommended before September to review seeing, hearing, and speech
- Students should be independent regarding washroom routines
- Community Organizations to help develop these skills include, Early Years Centres, Library, YMCA, Family
Compass Waterloo Region www.familycompasswr.ca
- Helping your child prepare for school
Extended Day Program
- Registration is open to all children ages 3 to 12.
- The before and after-school programs are led by Early Childhood Educators and will provide an
integrated school day. https://www.wcdsb.ca/our-schools/register-for-school/extended-day-program/
Extended Day Information
Please watch our video and when it is done, please return to this page to check out our Resources.
To access these resources, right click and left click to open hyperlink.
- A Parent’s Guide to Full-Day Kindergarten
- A Parent’s Guide to Play-Based Learning in Full-Day Kindergarten
- A Parent’s Guide to Literacy and Mathematics in Full-Day Kindergarten
- Full-Day Kindergarten Understanding Your Child’s Reports
- If you Want Your Children to Succeed, Then Hold On to Your Home Language!
- Sabrina’s Law
- Waterloo Child Care Subsidies
- Family Compass Waterloo Region
- Eye See…Eye Learn